Sharing this literary submission opportunity with any relevant and interested parties.
This a reblog via Hutchin’s Center
Born in Africa and bred in the diaspora, Transition is a unique forum for the freshest, most compelling, most curious ideas about race. Since its founding in Uganda in 1961, the magazine has kept apace of the rapid transformation of the black world and has remained a leading forum of intellectual debate. Now, in an age that demands ceaseless improvisation, we aim to be both an anchor of deep reflection on black life and a map charting new routes through the globalized world. Transition is a publication of the Hutchins Center at Harvard University, published three times annually by Indiana University Press. Alejandro de la Fuente is the Editor.
Transition aims to speak to the broader intelligentsia and the educated lay public through jargon-free, readable prose that provides both insight and pleasure.
We accept submissions year-round on a rolling basis. We generally respond to all submissions within four months. Due to volume, we are unable to provide updates on the status of submissions unless more than four months have passed.
Transition publishes writing by and about Africa and the African diaspora, with an eye towards a global perspective. Please familiarize yourself with our Archive and read a recent issue to gain a sense of both the content and style that we seek.
General Submission Guidelines
- Transition does accept simultaneous submissions. Please notify us immediately if you need to withdraw a piece because it has been accepted elsewhere.
- Transition does not accept multiple submissions within a four-month period. Within a season, an author may submit one packet of 5-7 poems, 1 short story, 1 essay, or 1 interview. Multiple submissions will result in all submissions being rejected.
- Transition now only accepts electronic submissions through Submittable. Submissions sent by physical mail will be recycled unread.
- Expect to revise. With the exception of poetry, Transition almost never publishes work in the form it was originally submitted. Authors of work under consideration may receive editorial feedback and requests to revise prior to final acceptance.
- All submissions should include a brief cover letter that includes a short author bio.
- For all submissions, please include the following information in your cover letter and in the top left corner of the first page of all documents:
Title of the work
Word count (or page count, for poetry)
- Pages should be numbered and include the author’s name on every page.
- All text submissions must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf file format. Images may be submitted in .jpg, .tiff, .gif, or .png.
- Use 12pt. Times New Roman font unless there is a stylistic reason to do otherwise.
Transition pays contributors with one print copy of the issue in which their work appears, and the opportunity to reach a broad, international audience. For more info visit – https://transition.submittable.com. Submit here and all the best….
Beautifully Dreaming…. Positively Doing